Serving Our Peers and Community • South High Community School • Worcester, MA

The Colonel Chronicle

53°

The Colonel Chronicle

The Colonel Chronicle

Letter to the Editor: Bathroom Policies
Letter to the Editor: Bathroom Policies
Kayn St Louis, Contributer • May 14, 2024
How is the parking at South High?
How is the parking at South High?
Chronicle Staff May 14, 2024
South High Girls Tennis Team, 2024
Girls Tennis Team Continues to Take Wins as Season Progresses
Lucy Reidy, News Editor • May 5, 2024

Senior Profiles

2024 Grads share their plans and their memories.
Senior+Profiles
Click on the name to read that student’s profile.
Chloe Williams
Chloe Williams

Can you share some details on your plans for after graduation? For example, the name of college you will be attending or where you will be working. What are you most looking forward to with these plans?

I am going to be attending Clark University with a major of mechanical engineering through the 3-2 program with Columbia University! I am most looking forward to meeting new people, decorating my dorm, playing sports and joining a lot of clubs for fun!

Do you have any memorable moments from your time at South High?

I do! Some of my favorite memories have to do with winning sports games and meeting new fun people in class! I also really enjoyed the pep rallies from last year and the outside events that we do during the year like the solar eclipse party, or even the dodgeball tournament! I also really enjoyed the last day of school in my sophomore year where we got together and played a Mario Kart tournament in the common room, took pictures and walked around the lake! One of my favorite parts however was participating in the international show and bonding with that group of people through culture and dance!

What is something that you have learned or experienced at South High that you will take with you after graduation? 

I have learned a lot about diversity, perspective and opportunity. With such a diverse school I was able to understand and connect with different experiences, and understand the opportunities that I am lucky to have. I have experienced community here, and support in places like my tennis team, which I will definitely take with me when I go to Clark!

Do you have any advice you would share with rising seniors or with underclassmen?

Stay on top of your work, obviously, but also take the time to hang out with people, join sports teams and join new clubs. Like I said before, the international show was one of the highlights of my senior and high school years, so I suggest participating in that even if you are not from that country (as long as they are okay with it)! Enjoy and experience as much as you can, and try to stay as positive as possible, even when it is difficult.

Lily Motil
Lily Motil

Worcester State University. I look forward to meeting new people.

Building lifelong friendships with some of my best friends.

To speak up and advocate for myself, because no one else will do it for me if I don’t.

Get your post-high school plans finalized because you will want to spend your senior year making memories.

Lisamaria Mendez
Lisamaria Mendez

I will be attending community college while working at the same time.

I can say sophomore year was the most memorable year for me. I made lots of memories with friends and teachers

I learned always ask for help when needed. South High is a big family!

Always be motivated no matter the situation, never give up – it will all be worth it at the end of the long run ☺️

Henry Nguyen
Henry Nguyen

I have no idea what I am doing, or what is going on. Despite this uncertainty, I am so grateful to be surrounded by people who are motivated about their future; it empowers me to continue my passions in college. I am going to spend the Summer working and hanging out with friends. To prevent myself from rotting away, I WILL keep myself accountable and form a schedule over the Summer. I'm attending UMass Amherst, and I've had thoughts about going to graduate school for biostatistics. Currently though, I am planning on a math and/or biology related for my undergraduate.

Four years at South High, I'll remember post-prom hangouts, collaborating with friends during AP Biology, graduating from the National Honor Society, receiving needed help from teachers, and every moment with friends!

I am still working on believing in myself - in order to have supportive friends, I must support myself first. Also, I have really, really bad procrastination issues, which affected my mental health and eating habits. Coupled with my stress about getting a job my junior year of high school, with other issues, I was at my lowest. The biggest step, which is also the hardest step was reaching out for help. After being open about everything with my parents and sister, I began feeling better. I realized I was not alone, as they took their personal time to help me recover.

Please ask for help when you need it. Whether the challenges are for physical, or mental support, simply talking about your problems can help stabilize your state of mind. Show gratitude, and be optimistic about every opportunity that comes up.