Serving Our Peers and Community • South High Community School • Worcester, MA

The Colonel Chronicle

44°

The Colonel Chronicle

The Colonel Chronicle

South Teachers Offer Inspiration, Advice
The Chronicle StaffMarch 1, 2024
Graphic by Canva.
“Miss! Can You Read My Article?” Students at South Drop Teacher’s Last Names
Anya Geist, Editor-in-Chief • March 1, 2024
Photo by The Colonel Chronicle.
Students Benefit From After-School Program
Anya Geist, Editor-In-Chief • February 16, 2024

Girls Basketball Team Captain Naima Looks to the New Season

Are you excited for this year’s girls basketball season? Read what captain Naima Bleou has to say here.

What are you looking forward to in this year’s season?

I’m looking forward to playing my last year as hard as I can and just making it as enjoyable as I can

Many people in the city and in school are fans and support our girls basketball team. What does that mean to you?

It means a lot to me because it’s a good representation of girls sports in Worcester, and I feel like there hasn’t been in a while. 

How does having such a big crowd affect the game and you personally?

Last year, it definitely affected me negatively because I was never out in that position, but I can say this year going into big crowd makes me happy and it doesn’t phase me anymore.

The schedule this year looks more challenging than the past few years. How is the team preparing for that, how do you guys feel about the new teams you’re playing. 

The team itself is preparing by staying focused on the things that need to be done and having a positive mentality coming into practice, games, film, and having positive energy. I feel happy about these teams we’re playing because the past years, they say it doesn’t matter because we don’t play nobody, but now we play against better teams and show that we’re really about that talk.

Last question, what has basketball taught you that carries over into the other areas of your life?

It’s taught me that to get far anywhere in life you really gotta have a good work ethic and be prepared to put your all into it. It’s taught me to work with others and shown me how to be a leader in difficult situations. And it’s okay to make mistakes –  mistakes just show that you’re trying.