Serving Our Peers and Community • South High Community School • Worcester, MA

The Colonel Chronicle

70°

The Colonel Chronicle

The Colonel Chronicle

The Colonel Chronicle Staff (top left to right: Ms. Ledoux, Jason Murillo, 24 Anya Geist, 24 Rania Amallah, 24; bottom left to right: Lucy Reidy, 25, Lila Tallagnon, 25 Sarah Jeffers, 25
A Week in the Life of the Colonel Chronicle
Sarah Jeffers, Social Media Manager • April 26, 2024
Anya Geist: Merry Hanukkah!
Anya Geist: Merry Hanukkah!
Anya Geist, Editor-in-Chief • April 14, 2024
We Need to Talk About Quarantine
We Need to Talk About Quarantine

Superheroes, Superfans, and Putting in the Work: Colonels facing Medfield in State Final

South Girls Basketball makes history, and the South family is here for it.

South High Girls Basketball team has been making history, but they are not done yet – and South High has been enjoying the ride!

On Monday, a pep rally was held to celebrate their win in the semi-finals against Notre Dame Hingham and their entrance into the final four, with a score of 71-46.

On Tuesday, the team went on to defeat Northampton in the Final Four at Chicopee High with a score of 57-45. 

The Colonels roll on to the championship game this Sunday at 4:00 pm at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell, where they will play Medfield High School. 

The team is excited to take on a challenge like this. Emma Houlihan, #10, says of the upcoming game, “We are feeling confident. We are researching the other team, finding ways to take them on, and we are going to keep working the next few days. We are feeling accomplished. No matter what the outcome of the game is, we feel accomplished.”

South High held a send-off on Friday at the end of the school day. The team walked the halls to cheers and well wishes ahead of the championship.

The support from the South High student body and faculty has been strong. The school is offering fan buses to help students attend the game on Sunday. Anyone who rides on a fan bus to support the team gets a FREE ticket.

Superfan Ms. Burden, South High’s MCAS specialist, has attended many games and says, “I love seeing all of our bball players come together as one. We are one family, and our fans are connected to our players unlike any other schools. Not many have the fanbase that our girls team has!”

The people in attendance at their recent games would have no choice but to agree. The South fans have taken up themes in their support, dressing in construction wear and displaying signs recently showing how the girls “put in the work.”

According to Ms. Burchill, “the construction theme is based on the idea that these girls put in the work and deserve the recognition! What started off as a small group attending the NDA Hingham game dressed in neon turned into a complete on-site crew against Northampton.”

If you are attending the championship game, prepare to be around people dressed in superhero gear – or bring your own accessories. According to Ms. Burchill, “The Colonels Coaster will be riding to the finals (or shall we say flying )” as they plan to bring a superhero theme to their cheering – all to honor our 2023-2024 Colonel superheroes.