Serving Our Peers and Community • South High Community School • Worcester, MA

The Colonel Chronicle

61°

The Colonel Chronicle

The Colonel Chronicle

Lucys Summer Suggestions: Part 2
Lucy's Summer Suggestions: Part 2
Lucy Reidy, News Editor • June 12, 2024
Im Glad I Tried Out for Tennis
I'm Glad I Tried Out for Tennis
Lila Tallagnon, Arts and Entertainment Editor • June 12, 2024
South Highs Ice Cream Suggestions!
South High's Ice Cream Suggestions!
Sarah Jeffers, Social Media Manager • June 12, 2024

Lucy’s Summer Suggestions: Part 2

Finally– once again– the summer months are coming around. Longer days, the smell of sunscreen, and roadside ice cream shops are in our midst. 

But of course, summer break brings work to prepare for next year. If you’re anything like me, you’re getting ready to apply to colleges in the fall. But one thing almost all of us have in common is that we need to complete summer reading. This year, so far, I have read 17 books. Some of which would be perfect material for your summer reading assignments, or just something fun to indulge in over break!

#1: Songs In Ursa Major— Emma Brodie (Fiction)

This book was absolutely amazing. It takes place right here in Massachusetts and tells the story behind folk artist Jane Quinn’s first solo album, Songs in Ursa Major. Originally, I was skeptical about the book. But as I read, it turned out to be an absolute page turner. The book had such a satisfying ending in my opinion, and it is also the perfect read for summer!

#2: Running With Scissors— Augusten Burroughs (Non Fiction)

Equal parts horrifying and charming, this book is probably one of the best memoirs I’ve ever read. Running With Scissors finds comedy in the unsettling childhood of writer Augusten Burroughs. This book left me in utter disbelief– disbelief that was almost laughable. But at the end of the day, this book will give you a sense of warmth as well as providing excellent commentary on the topic of mental health.

#3: Speech Team— Tim Murphy (Fiction)

If you are a fan of 80s movies like The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, you are sure to love this book. Written by Tim Murphy (a local author!), Speech Team details the reunion of four friends from high school after the sudden death of one of their peers. Together, they relive some of their greatest (and most horrifying) memories from their high school years. This book was like a huge warm hug, and it was an absolute joy to read.

#4: Night Shift— Kiare Ladner (Fiction)

I have a very distinct memory of starting this book– it was in the chorus room before the international show. When I left school that day for April break, I had already read over 100 pages. That’s how fast Night Shift sucks you in. This book was so completely haunting. I expected a book about obsession to be repetitive, but the way Ladner portrays it is absolutely perfect. 

#5: Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City— Matthew Desmond (Non Fiction)

I am serious when I say that this might have been the best book that I have ever read. While it is non fiction, the pages aren’t taken up by endless statistics and percentages, but they are taken up by actual human stories. Taking place in Milwaukee, Evicted showcases the horrors of modern real estate and how it affects landlords and tenants alike. I feel like there isn’t much more I can say about this book other than praise it again and again– you really just have to read it yourself!

Anyway, I hope that you pick up at least one of these books this summer and enjoy them as much as I did! Happy Reading!

And as always, if you have other book suggestions (or summer suggestions in general), be sure to write us and give your opinion!