Serving Our Peers and Community • South High Community School • Worcester, MA

The Colonel Chronicle

43°

The Colonel Chronicle

The Colonel Chronicle

South Teachers Offer Inspiration, Advice
The Chronicle StaffMarch 1, 2024
Graphic by Canva.
“Miss! Can You Read My Article?” Students at South Drop Teacher’s Last Names
Anya Geist, Editor-in-Chief • March 1, 2024
Photo by The Colonel Chronicle.
Students Benefit From After-School Program
Anya Geist, Editor-In-Chief • February 16, 2024

Club Showcase: Geography Club

Mr. Eressy and the Geography Club can be found every other Monday in Room A166.

Welcome to the Colonel Chronicle’s first club feature. The club being showcased in this piece is the Geography Club, which has been around at South High since the 2022-2023 school year.

Geography Club is one of the smaller clubs at South, but it has a friendly community and is open to anyone. Oliver Chase Norris, ’24, is the founder and current president of the club, and it meets every other Monday in Mr. Eressy’s classroom, A166.

The club does a variety of activities during meetings, notably playing Geoguessr, a game where the player is dropped to a random area in Google Maps Street View and has to figure out their exact location, and map quizzes. Some activities that will be new for this year might be playing Risk or some form of geography competitions. Another plan is for a trip to the Mapparium at the end of the school year, an exhibit in Boston; however Oliver says “it will require a lot of work to make that a reality.”

But why should anyone consider joining the Geography Club? Oliver said “It’s a fun place to learn some new things while hanging out with friends, and it looks great on college and work applications. The end of year trip should also be a great time. Aside from the fun aspect, the actual learning is pretty fun too. If you’ve ever looked at a post on social media and seen a map you don’t understand, Geography Club is a great place to get help with that. Knowing maps and other facets of geography can allow you to follow American and international politics, which are influential on everyone’s lives.”

If you’re interested in joining Geography Club, you can email Oliver at student.149269@worcesterschools.net, or Mr. Eressy at [email protected].