Try to Give Teachers A Break

Try to Give Teachers A Break

Jason Murillo, Editor-in-Chief

I have seen a rise in disrespect for teachers by students. Mostly minor cases, but some of them have been very bad. I will not deny: I am one of the culprits too. Neither will I try to justify why I have had cases where I was rude to a teacher, because that will not change the fact that I was disrespectful. That applies to all other students who have committed acts of disrespect across the spectrum.

Although this is a common saying, it will not hurt to repeat it: no one else should suffer for your benefit.

When I say disrespectful, though, in most cases, I am not saying insulting a teacher, disobeying their requests, or interrupting their teacher (though, that can be an instance of disrespect). I am talking about complaining that an assignment has not been graded, getting mad at a teacher in front of them for marking a correct answer incorrect, or repeatedly asking for a test or quiz to be graded. These are minor cases, but they add up to a teacher’s stress. They are overloaded with thoughts and think they have much to do. Typically, that stress does not match the workload. Yes, they have to lesson plan, grade tests or essays, grade smaller assignments, have meetings with staff and families about students, worry about supplies, attend professional development, etc. which is indeed stressful. 

Although teachers and students have different jobs, they are really similar in what they have to do. To elaborate, teachers and students both have “homework” and “projects”. We both have to-do lists with tasks with we cross off as we go down the list. Reminding teachers that they have yet to cross something off their to-do lists stresses them out. That stress makes it harder to do their work because of the overwhelming feeling they have when they think of all the work they have to do. Thinking is an action, and science has proved that multitasking is not possible. Seeing all the work you have to do makes you stressed out, which is why people typically attack their tasks one at a time. They will do it when they get to it. If they do not get to it by the end of the quarter, they can get in trouble for that. Do not worry about what your test grade is until they miss the deadline. When that time comes, you can complain to an administrator if it is really that important. 

Most of the time, stress is beneficial for humans. But unnecessary stress is not helpful to the well-being of a person. By stressing your teacher out, you are damaging their mental and physical health. They may take personal days, they may have to take sick leave because the stress is affecting their body, and their performance in class may decrease too. This does not affect just your teacher, it affects your education and, consequently, you as well. 

For your and your teacher’s sake, try to give your teacher a break.